2moto

Innovation on 2 wheels

Norick Abe YZR-500 Replica

Find out more

The spiritual successor to the RD-350

Find out more

95Racer: 95bhp and 95kg

Find out more

Norick Abe YZR-500 Replica

Find out more

The spiritual successor to the RD-350

Find out more

YZR-500 Frame Kit

Find out more

The spiritual successor to the RD-350

Find out more

Login Form

Latest Updates

Search

Development begins

With the next test date set for later in August at Oulton Park in Cheshire, England, we had a surprisingly short list of modifications to make, considering the scope of the project:

  1. Fit larger radiator
  2. Install softer fork springs
  3. Fit new, stronger chain
  4. Correct data logging configuration
  5. Re-map Dynojet Power Commander

Fitting a new radiator became a hunt of what was “at hand” and could be offered up to the bike to check for space. Very quickly, we decided on a Ducati 916 radiator which still needed tapering towards the bottom, as well as modifying the hose connectors. This gives you a good illustration of just how narrow this bike is. It thinks it’s a 250!

After consulting again with the kind folks at K-tech, we acquired a set of Aprilia RS-250 springs which are the same dimensions as the 2005 Yamaha R-6 forks but a lower rating of 0.8 mm/kg. These were promptly installed along with one grade thicker fork oil, now 10W.

Risking having another chain snap in the pursuit of light weight and low friction, we decided to play this a bit more conservatively. The choice was the widely used DID race chain: 520ERVIII. It weighs about 400 grams more and has slightly more friction than the 520 motocross chain we had previously.

A slight change was required to the AIM Micron Gold dash data logger in order to acquire the desired sensor channels. This took all of 15 minutes.

With the bike ready to run we paid a well overdue visit to Paul at Dynobike in Malton, North Yorkshire. Paul spent the better part of a day optimizing the fueling of the injection system. While we retained the stock header pipes until we significantly raise the horsepower, the race end can made the fueling very weak. Still, the increase in horsepower was only modest from 63 to 68. Paul said after the initial dyno run that he expected more. No matter, this wasn’t that important since we were going to rework the engine over the winter anyway.

Our test session at Oulton went well with no further issues, although our track time was cut short due to being black flagged for exceeding the noise restriction. We tried a couple of things to reduce it but it was not to be. Still, we confirmed that the chassis seemed to work well and that the front end felt much better.