So, after some delays due to customer changing his mind on the bodywork on the YZR-500 and it also requiring an engine rebuild after the Classic TT at the Isle of Man, we got back onto the NSR-500 project. As we're using pre-preg carbon fibre bodywork from the original HRC moulds, we wanted to design the frame so that the bodywork would fit with no or only very minimal modifications. Given that we are using an RG-500 engine, this is not as easy as you might think.
The body work is from this version of the NSR-500:
Originally, we were going to essentially duplicate the YZR-500 frame and simply adapt it to the RG-500 engine. However, there was no way that the HRC bodywork was going to fit well onto that. So, we decided to build the frame as close to the above version as possible. That, of course, meant designing new upright frame sections, new frame spars, etc. It should result in a more pleasing chassis onto which the bodywork, especially the tail section will fit far better. The chassis geometry will be identical to the YZR-500, which we already know works well.
Here are the first fitment trials with the frame uprights in place:
Next was building the press plates and bending jigs for the frame spars. With a bit of work (and the occasional swearing) we ended up with this:
Even though it was far more work than we had originally planned, both design and fabrication wise, we're pretty pleased with how its worked out this far. Still lots to do and we'll provide more updates in this blog as well and please like us on our Facebook page 2MotoUK.
Here is the complete set of pictures so far: